Periscope is a live streaming mobile application that belongs to Twitter since February of 2015 and has been the talk of the whole town. The app was originally developed by someone else, who sold it to Twitter. While it has been around in India for a while, it can be really intimidating for someone who uses it for the first time. After all, it’s going to take you live in front of thousands and lakhs of people and you therefore, at least want to look like you know what’s happening!
In the last month, there has been a huge gush in the amount of live videos being broadcasted; all thanks to smartphones and amazing apps like Periscope. For example, the other day I clicked this link where a lady was simply walking her dog in a park. So many people, like me, would have clicked through and watched the lady walk her dog live. I know it’s kind of weird, but come-on, it is kind of cool too. Not that these live streaming platforms are only good for such random fun clips, they are really helpful for marketers. This is like a newer, quicker way to connect to your audiences.
How exactly does this work?
Read that tagline? This is exactly what this app means. Simply put, Periscope lets you GO LIVE via your mobile phone at any time and place. So, it’s your “on the go” broadcasting station, a great step towards enhancing citizen journalism. The app incorporates notifications, location tracking and social sharing and also live feedback, to make the experience better. Once the broadcast is over, people can also watch a replay and even react, for only up to 24 hours, after which the broadcast is removed. In another app feature, the broadcast can be saved to your device.
There can be many innovative ways to utilize Periscope for your business, such as insider videos and live Q&A sessions with your audience. Periscope is a great tool to pose off your skills and services in case of a company.
How to use Periscope?
First step, of course, is downloading the app on your device from the iOS or Android Store. Then:
- Sign in using your Twitter account or your phone number.
- Understanding the tabs at the bottom of the screen:
- People who you follow on Periscope and are live right now.
- List of broadcasts you’ve attended or posted in the last 24 hours & a map view of people live broadcasts from around the world that can be joined in.
- The main broadcast booth where you can make your live videos.
- Last one gives you suggestions of folks you can follow.
- Discovering the Settings icon on the top right corner. It looks like a headshot in a circle.
- Watching and sending your own broadcasts.
How can you make the most of it?
Though the app is pretty new and not much experimented with, there are a few sure-shot tips that can help you post a great video and make the most of this unique app:
- To get the most views, consider your post timing.
- Spend time thinking for a gripping title.
- Turn on location while posting to make it easier to find.
- Try responding to comments in real time.
- Experiment with the type of content you post.
Just remember, this app is connected with Twitter, so make your choices wisely.
Let’s Periscope Up!