Online advertising that uses landing pages typically sees a conversion rate improvement of at least 25% (Source: Omniture).
Now, this whopping stat is a reason in itself as to why businesses should consider landing pages as part of their overall digital marketing plan.
“Be in front of your customers’ eyes” is the new motto of online marketing today. However, with proliferation of digital marketing channels and increase in the number of competitors, this seems to be a challenge.
Just think of a scenario where there are thousands of websites and your objective is to get your customers’ attention and induce them to take action you want them to take. Sounds tough, right? Of course it is!
This is where Landing pages come to your rescue and help you reach your target audience. Landing page gives you voice and gets you in front of your customers, which eventually helps in your other online marketing efforts.
So, here is a complete guide for you to understand what Landing Page Optimization is all about and how you can build an effective landing page optimization strategy for your business.
What is a Landing Page?
First of all I would like to make it clear that a Landing page is NOT your home page. Many marketers confuse it with the website homepage.
So what is a landing page? Well, the landing page is any web page where you want your visitors to “land” on and take action you want them to take. This action could be filling out a form or creating an account.
Image Source: Unbounce
A landing page helps you get traffic from anywhere other than the pages of your website. Landing pages are most commonly related to pay-per-click ads like Google Adwords, which are specifically designed to receive the visitors.
What is Landing Page Optimization?
Landing Page Optimization OR LPO is the process of continuously monitoring and improving a landing page in order to optimize page performance and results. Landing pages are optimized to drive maximum traffic and generate maximum leads. Landing page optimization results in more conversions, which raises the ROI of marketing campaigns.
Elements of a Landing Page
Successful landing pages have one thing in common, the elements, which communicate critical information to users in a targeted manner. These elements can make or break your goal of creating a landing page. These elements work as ingredients to a perfect cuisine. Thus, it’s required that you create landing pages which not only help you with maximum number of clicks but also induces your visitors to take required action. These critical elements are mentioned below:
1. The Headline: The headline of landing page is your one and only chance to grab your audience’s attention. It is the first thing that people will see and read. It’s imperative that the headline gets your message across your audience in a succinct way.
2. The Image: Image is the creative element of a landing page. Images act as a great hook that grabs the attention of the visitor. Also, it should be relevant to your landing page message and the overall marketing campaign.
The Obama Administration found that by changing photo on their splash page, the conversions increased by more than 19%.
3. The Benefits: By crafting a headline you gained the attention of visitors and by providing a little more detail to the offer you will answer any questions they may have. This element lists down the benefits that visitors will get.
4. Call-To-Action (CTA): Now this element specifies what type of action you want your visitors to take be it filling up a form or downloading an ebook or an app. This is your ultimate goal of creating a landing page. CTAs are critical to conversions as they are the target of your pages’ conversion goal.
5. The Social Proof: This element basically consists of testimonials and other elements which validate your brand. The basic premise behind placing social proof on the landing page is that visitors are more likely to convert if they see others being glad by using the service or product, or by downloading an app or ebook.
Basecamp has displayed social proof on their homepage:
How Does LPO Help My Business?
What is the ultimate goal of every business? Awareness? Traffic? I guess most of us would answer No. That’s because every businesses’ goal is to get leads. According to Hubspot, 650 targeted landing pages get them an average of 35.62% visitor-to-lead conversion rate.
Apart from that, there are two tangible benefits of Landing Page Optimization:
- More PPC Leads: Landing pages help businesses with more PPC leads. If landing page is effective, more clicks lead to conversions.
- Improved Quality Scores: When landing pages are well-designed and targeted, they achieve better “quality score” which is best aligned with the user’s intent. Better quality score leads to better rankings and reduced spending on ads.
How Can I Optimize my Landing Pages?
Everything boils down to this one question, “how to optimize landing pages”. This is the most important stage since most of the brands don’t know how to do it right. For your ease, I have divided the LPO process into three steps which are mentioned below:
Step 1: Define Goal
Landing pages are created with a purpose. It could be asking visitors to fill up a form or download an ebook or an app. But remember, one landing page must have one clearly defined goal only.
Step 2: Monitor
The next step is to measure the conversion rate, which is defined as the percentage of visitors who take action you want them to take. Once you have calculated your average daily conversion rate, you can start optimizing your landing page.
Step 3: Optimize
Landing page optimization is based on a premise that minor changes in landing page can make huge differences in conversions. Once you have monitored the conversion rate, the next step is to optimize.
It’s important that you keep your target audience in mind when you optimize landing pages. You may look at the best practices which may fit into your marketing arsenal.
Landing Pages and other Digital Marketing Services
Landing Pages and SEO
While the aim of SEO is to get you in front of the users when they enter search queries, landing pages are designed to get those users to your landing page and persuade them to take desired action. Thus, SEO and landing pages have to co-exist as a high bounce rate on the landing pages will adversely affect the organic search performance of the overall website.
Landing Pages and Pay-Per-Click
Landing pages are primarily used as destinations for PPC ads. In fact, using landing pages for PPC campaigns result in higher conversion rates and a lower cost-per-click.
Landing Pages and Conversion Rate Optimization
Conversion rate optimization has just one goal, that is, to increase conversions. Landing pages aid conversion rate optimization process in achieving that goal and that is the reason landing pages are considered as an important aspect of conversion rate optimization process.
Landing Pages and Social Media Marketing
Social media cannot be avoided if you wish to be successful in the world of online marketing. Using landing pages in your social media marketing can help you turn social interactions into social conversions.
The truth is that every marketer aims to achieve highest conversion rates. Landing pages are an effective way of improving conversion rates. All you need to do is to follow the best practices of landing page optimization and see your customer base growing!