Apollo 11 : ‘Houston, alright we are on the moon. Now what?’
Houston : ‘I don’t know. Step One was reaching there. Aldrin, any ideas?’
Social media efforts sometime seem like a knee jerk reaction to the brand manager’s campaign mallet. Now that we are well into the digital age, every business has a website to assert its identity. But if you don’t have social media badges on the website, you can almost feel the disapproving looks of net savvy customers. So you log into the Facebooks’ of the world and get that page you so wanted with your business’s name on it. You ‘like’ it. Then what?
The Binder : What will hold it together?
If you have been entrusted with the responsibility to Go Social with a business, it is very important to ask the right questions well before you go about creating the handles.
1. What is the one thing we want to project about ourselves?
2. Why should anybody care who we are?
3. Saying what will prove our point?
4. What if someone does not like us and is vocal about it?
Apples and Oranges : Which handle is right for you?
Each handle is different in its behavior, tonality and audience mindset. Depending on the nature of business being propagated and audience in question, one must choose the handle they should be present on. Visitor treatment changes largely from Facebook to Twitter to Pinterest etc.
1. Facebook : A place where friends hangout and chat
2. Twitter : Public instant messenger where brevity is key
3. Linkedin : You are in formals here. Please keep it ‘business’.
4. Pinterest : A picture is worth a thousand words
Therefore, to begin with, let’s always ask the right questions to know what we want to do and where.